Happy 4th of July! This weekend you may be hanging your flag to honor the birth of our nation. Take a moment to read these tips on how to properly treat your flag.
- Do not carry it Horizontally – The flag code states that it should be the flag should be held “aloft and free”.
- Do not wear the flag as a shirt or swimsuit – The flag code states that the flag should not be worn. Clothing that isn’t a true representation of the American Flag is acceptable to wear.
- Do not buy those American Flag Napkins – Wiping your mouth with the American Flag is considered disrespectful
- Do not fly a flag at half mast for personal reasons – Only the President or state governor can order a flag being hung at half mast.
- Do not burn a dirty flag – The flag code recommends to clean and dry the flag with mild soap and water.
- Do not fly your flag in bad weather – Unless your flag is an all-weather flag you should take your flag down in poor weather in order to keep it from being ruined.
Please have a safe and enjoyable holiday!